What is a Neti Pot?
Neti Pots are used to perform the yoga technique Jala Neti.
What is Jala Neti?Jala Neti is a yoga technique, meaning literally "water cleansing", where the practitioner rinses out the nasal cavity with water (usually salted) using a Neti Pot. The technique is starting to be recognized by science under the term nasal irrigation.
Jala neti, though relatively unknown to western culture, is a common practice in parts of India and other areas in south east asia, performed as routinely as using a toothbrush. It is performed daily usually the first thing in the morning with other cleansing practices. Sometimes it is done more often such as at the end of the day if you work or live in a dusty or polluted environment. When dealing with problems of congestion it can be performed up to 4 times a day and has been shown to speed up the healing process for common colds.
What are the benefits?Those who use Jala neti believe it has numerous benefits including:
- reduction of allergy problems
- improvement to breathing
- elimination of post-nasal drip
- elimination of sinusitis or chronic sinus infections
- common colds are either avoided or the duration greatly shortened
- general improvement to sinus health.
If sinus symptoms persist, please consult a doctor.
Other benefits practitioners may notice:
- Vision is clearer. Jala neti can clean the tear ducts enabling better cleaning and moistening of the eyes.
- improved sense of smell
- improved sense of taste